For our growing Studio we are looking for a strong Lead Developer who can lead a project and coach the Tech Team. This Lead has excellent people skills, is an active evangelist of internal libraries and helps shape multiple large games.
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the project’s code architecture and technical vision
- Being ultimately responsible for overcoming technical obstacles in the development process
- Work closely with art, design and production leads and developers
- Champion quality and modern development best practises
- Support the technical development of the project’s engineering team through mentoring team members, giving feedback, setting expectations and delegating
- Play an active role in recruitment to build a world class engineering team
- Collaborate with other senior engineers across the company to promote cross-project knowledge and code sharing
- Coordinate planning to ensure technology plans are robust and communicated to stakeholders, reporting progress both internally and externally
- Implement new features or tools on green-field projects and legacy alike
ROLE BASED SKILLS
- Experience leading a project or mentoring a team
- Excellent programming skills with an understanding and passion for readable, robust code and best practices, particularly in C#
- Strong understanding of game development tooling and processes, art workflow, performance optimisation and memory management
- Effectively lead fellow programmers to design, write and review code together, and leading by driving team alignment and buy-in
- Strong understanding of areas such as physics, AI, networking, gameplay and rendering
- Experience with writing clear, concise and accurate technical documentation, with the ability to summarise complex topics both verbally and in writing
- Familiarity with recent versions of Unity and up to date knowledge of industry trends
- Experience with Agile development
- Experience with mobile development (Android/iOS) and console development and experience with platform certification processes
- Understanding of client / server communication and data serialisation
- Experience with build automation and build scripts i.e. Jenkins, Ant, Make etc.
- Knowledge of debugging and performance monitoring and optimisation
- Being able to improve upon development coding processes and practices
- Experience interacting with and improving legacy codebases
- Developing Employees: You are able to review and analyse employees’ strengths and weaknesses, distinguish their talents and development needs and to make sure they are enhanced appropriately.
- Accountability: You take responsibility for your own actions, those of colleagues and the organisation and stimulate others to do the same
- Flexibility: You have the ability to change your behavioural style and/or views in order to reach a certain goal.
- Initiative: You have the ability to recognise and create opportunities and to act accordingly. Rather starting something than waiting passively for it to happen.
- You have a strong passion for making games
- You have 5+ years experience with game development in Unity C# (Gameplay, GUI, Tools programming)
- You have previous commercial experience in a game studio and / or commercial experience working in a development team about the size of 2-3 scrum teams
- You read, write and speak excellent English
- You are able to work 32-40 hours per week
- You are willing & able to work at our basecamp in The Hague when required
Paladin has five core values that we’re looking for in team members:
Kaizen: We make positive changes on a regular basis
Spark: We leave a mark, providing a positive experience for everyone involved
Wholehearted: We love the work we do, and we commit to our work
Adventure: We go off the beaten track
Autonomy: We make decisions and take responsibility for our actions
- Diverse and challenging projects
- A place in a highly motivated and skilled team and an ambitious company
- Positive, healthy work environment
- Coaching and plenty of opportunities for personal development
- A high degree of freedom and responsibility
- Competitive salary and benefits
We work in autonomous development teams. This ensures tight communications, a real sense of ownership and truly agile development.
In our weekly show & tell meetings, every team shares their progress and all aspects of the company can be discussed. We believe in transparency and autonomy, and this creates a high degree of freedom and responsibility. (Note that this is not for everyone, so please only apply if this concept appeals to your inner pirate!).
ABOUT PALADIN STUDIOS
We create games that make people smile – be it a sweet twinkle, loud laugh, or evil grin.
Paladin is a game developer. Our basecamp is in The Hague but we are currently working remote due to COVID-19. We are a team of 35 knights and growing. Our mission is to create games with a spark, for players all over the world. We achieve this goal by being a world-class game studio with soul, that brings out the best in people. That means a studio filled to the brim with creativity, professionalism, and good vibes.
Some of our recent games include: